In the recent times, the governments in the UK have stipulated strict conduct and certifications for the coach and bus drivers. Now the concept of PCV has changed as now the CPC qualification for the drivers for heavy public vehicles such as the minibuses and coaches. The driver would be hired by a company or organizations in making trips to the required destinations which may be tours to neighbouring cities, or countries, airports, stations and so on. It can turn out to be a really exciting job for the people
The reason for the governments to issue and make compulsory the CPC qualification is to ensure safe driving and respect for the traffic rules. This would reduce any mishaps or accidents and set a good example. The drivers of the minibuses are exposed to a greater danger and are responsible for the lives of many others. The necessary qualification for becoming a minibus driver include the following conditions-
- The person must be at least 21 years old.
- the minibus has at most 17 seats, so the driver must essentially have a PCV training entitlement for a category either D Or D1 -under the new rules, renewing the licence is compulsory. Your licence is not valid if not renewed, which means you are not entitled for any reward or hire for D or D1 till you get it renewed.
- the person must be medically sound
- If you have a medically restricted licence, then you can still drive the buses on a voluntary basis.
In case you do not possess a minibus entitlement, which is a category 1 entitlement, then you can still drive the minibus under these following conditions-
- you may drive a bus with at most 16 seats
- You have to be aged either 21 or above.
- You are driving on a voluntary basis.
- You are at least holder of a car licence and have a driving experience.
- You must have no charges of rash driving
- if you are above 70, then you would have to make special applications
One important note for the ones who do not hold a D1 category licence is that there is no salary or reward for driving the minibuses apart from the pocket allowances by the employer or on the behalf of the passengers foe the services. One needs to also note that if they are driving for an organisation they need not have the D Or the D1 license at all.